The 5-step enhanced cleaning process
This protocol is based on Airbnb’s cleaning manual, developed in partnership with hotel and medical hygiene experts.
Step 1: Prepare
- Ventilate rooms before and while you clean. Regulatory authorities such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend opening outside doors and windows. Ventilate the space for as long as possible before and during cleaning.
- Gather the right cleaning supplies, using only disinfectant and sanitizer solutions that are registered with the relevant governmental agency .
- Review the safety guidelines for your chemicals. Always read the labels on your products to understand their active ingredients and how to use them properly.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. If that’s not possible, use a hand sanitizer containing 60% alcohol at a minimum.
- Wear protective equipment : disposable gloves and masks or cloth face coverings.
- Start by
- Taking out all the garbage.
- Collecting all dirty linens throughout the space
Step 2: Clean
Cleaning is when you remove germs and dirt from surfaces .
- Wash linens at the highest heat setting recommended by the manufacturer. Remember to wash your hands before you handle any clean linens.
- Wash all dishes in the dishwasher or manually in the warmest possible water with suitable detergent.
- Dust the space and sweep or vacuum the floor.
- Clean hard surfaces with soap and water : worktops, tables, sinks, cabinets, and floors.
Step 3: Sanitize
Sanitizing is when you use chemicals to reduce the number of germs and bacteria on all high-touch areas : door knobs, light switches remotes control … by spraying these surfaces with chemical disinfectant.
- Once a hard surface is clean, spray it with disinfectant.
- Let the disinfectant stay wet for the specified length of time. The product label will specify the wet contact time needed for the chemicals to effectively sanitize a surface. This allows the chemicals time to kill as many germs as possible.
- Allow surfaces to air-dry
Step 4: Check room-by-room checklists
- Make sure all frequently touched parts and surfaces have been cleaned up between each stay: check each item on the checklist and the recommended practices.
- Note any maintenance issues or missing items. When the final inspection is complete, note any items that need to be replaced, filled or replenished.
- Share these practices with concierge team, housekeeping staff, cleaning staff…
Step 5: Reset the room
To avoid cross-contamination, it is important to finish cleaning and sanitize a room before preparing it for the next traveller.
- Wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water and put on clean gloves before replacing supplies, bed linen and cleaning products available to travellers (Caution: always keep chemicals out of reach of children).
- Check each room to make sure everything is ready for the next traveller
- Safely clean or dispose of protective equipment and cleaning equipment
- Do not return to a room when it has been sanitized
- Clean equipment between stays.